Thursday 16 June 2011

Michael Gove, the striker on the strikes

I like Michael Gove, he's witty, polite, erudite, a fellow-hack and a proud Aberdonian to boot.

In fact I like him so much that when we were both young men - and he was a striking journalist at the P&J on the east coast of Scotland and I was a staffer at the radical West Highland Free Press - I used to send regular donations to his cause which became an NUJ crusade.

So, when I heard the Education Secretary on the wireless this morning, I nearly choked on my west London muesli mix. (Ach, we've both come a long way haven't we)

Speaking about the simmering prospect of teaching strikes, Gove the Cove said: "I don’t think a strike helps. I’ve been on strike myself, when I was much younger, it didn't solve anything."

Is that right, Michael? Most reporters remember the P&J strike as a principled stand that delayed by a decade the journalistic deforestation of the Scottish newspaper industry.

We can agree to disagree on that if you like Michael, but what's your address, I'd like my money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment